NBSS Level 2 support works with schools to develop targeted interventions for students whose progress is impeded by their social, emotional, academic or behavioural skills, issues or concerns. Support takes place in small groups, class groups or year groups. Interventions are usually short in duration with realistic, achievable targets drawn.
Level 2 targeted interventions to date have included:
- Rules, routines and expectations
- Rewards and consequences
- Organisational skills
- Peer conflict
- Explicit teaching of social skills
- Development of specific reading skills
- Explicit teaching of learning and study skills
- Explicit teaching of comprehension and vocabulary strategies
- Development of writing skills
- Check and Connect Intervention
- Attendance and Punctuality
- Mentor Training
- Tutor Training
- Parental Support
Depending on the intervention the work of the NBSS consists either of supporting teachers as they conduct the intervention themselves, or actively partnering the teacher in the classroom.
All work undertaken aims to promote positive behaviour and learning throughout the school by focusing on developing:
- Behaviour for Learning Skills
- Social and Emotional Literacy Skills
- Academic Literacy and Learning Skills
- Wellbeing Skills.