The NBSS provides support and training in a number of key behaviour and learning approaches, methodologies and issues, as identified by school staff and the school’s Positive Behaviour Strategy Team, in consultation with the NBSS.
Among the areas NBSS has provided support and training in are:
- Rules & Routines
- Expectations, Rewards and Consequences
- Code of Behaviour Review
- Strategies for Encouraging, Praising and Motivating Students
- The Management of Low-Level Disruption
- The Management of High-Level Disruption
- Development of Pastoral Care Systems for Behaviour Improvement
- Belonging Plus+ The NBSS Transition and Transfer Programme
- The Development of Student Support Teams or Care Teams
- Academic Literacy, Language and Learning
- Explicit Teaching of Comprehension Strategies for All Subject Areas
- Explicit Teaching of Vocabulary Strategies
- Adolescent Literacy Programmes and Resources
- Study Skills and Learning Strategies for Junior and Senior Cycle Students
- Explicit Teaching of Social Skills
- Social and Emotional Literacy
- Positive Health and Wellbeing Initiatives
- Solution Focused Approaches to Behaviour Improvement.
As part of Level 1 school-wide behaviour support NBSS also offers additional professional learning opportunities for staff in partner schools. These include:
- Teachers sharing good practices within their school communities and in national fora to peers and management.
- Teachers developing and implementing ‘Teacher as Researcher Projects’ related to particular areas of interest or concern.
- Follow-up consultation and work with groups of teachers in partner schools.