Though its model of support the NBSS works with schools in developing a continuum of support to address students’ social and emotional and wellbeing needs, for example by:
- Implementing Belonging Plus - NBSS transition and transfer programme
- Explicitly teaching social skills
- Providing teacher CPD on motivating every learner and using a solution focused approach
- Implementing the ‘FRIENDS for Life’ programme, a school-based positive mental health programme that helps students to develop effective strategies to deal with worry, stress and change and teaches the skills required to reduce anxiety and promote resilience
- Developing 'Check and Connect' adult mentor systems
- Conducting environmental audits
- Supporting students' speech, language and communication needs
- Implementing the ‘ALERT’ programme to help students monitor, maintain and change their level of alertness so that it is appropriate to the situation or task
- Employing the Working Things Out and Parent Plus programmes to educate adolescents about positive mental health
- Operating the 'Why Try?' programme to teach students critical social and emotional skills required for success in school and life after school
From the research literature there is evidence that working on emotional and social competence and wellbeing has a wide range of educational and social benefits, including greater educational and work success, improved behaviour, increased inclusion, improved learning and improvements to mental health.
“Students who are anxious, angry, or depressed don't learn; people who are caught in these states do not take information effectively or deal with it well…powerful negative emotions twist attention toward their own preoccupations, interfering with the attempt to focus elsewhere…When emotions overwhelm concentration, what is being swamped is the mental capacity cognitive scientists call 'working memory', the ability to hold in mind all information relevant to the task at hand…. On the other hand, consider the role of positive motivation - the marshalling of feelings of enthusiasm, zeal, and confidence - in achievement.” (Daniel Goleman 1995)
The NBSS supports schools in developing social and emotional and wellbeing skills that help promote positive behaviour and effective learning at Level 1, 2 and 3.